How to File a Claim for Unpaid Wages?

a worried office worker

If your employer hasn’t fully paid you for your work, you are entitled to file a claim to receive the payment you’ve earned. The Monterey County employment attorneys have put together information on how to file a claim for unpaid wages in California.

Types of Unpaid Wages

If there are wages that your employer failed to pay you, you should speak to an employment attorney to get a case evaluation. Common types of unpaid wages include the following:

  • Minimum wage
  • Break times
  • Overtime
  • Work that was done off-the-clock
  • Untaken vacation time
  • Travel time for a work-related assignment

Steps to File a Claim for Unpaid Wages

  1. Prepare the Wage & Hour Claim: California employees must file a document called the “Initial Report or Claim” with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).
  2. Gather Documents: You will need to file supporting documents to the DLSE to prove that you have unpaid wages.
  3. File the Claim at a Local DLSE Office: Since the DLSE doesn’t support electronic filing, you will have to submit claims through mail or in-person.
  4. Attend the Settlement Conference: The DLSE might hold a settlement conference before a hearing. The settlement is in a formal meeting between the employer, employee, and a Deputy Labor Commissioner.
  5. Attend the DLSE Hearing: This hearing is where evidence is presented, and arguments are made. After the hearing, the DLSE must grant or deny relief within 15 days after the hearing.

Call Our Monterey County Attorneys Today!

Having an experienced employment attorney on your side can heavily impact the outcome of your case. Our Monterey County employment lawyers can investigate your case to determine if your employer has violated a federal or state law. We can also guide you every step of the way to help you obtain the best possible outcome for your case. Let our team at Polaris Law Group help you recover your unpaid wages.

Get in touch with our Monterey County employment lawyers today at (888) 796-4010 for a consultation!

Additional Reading:

Related Posts
  • How to Navigate a Layoff or Termination Read More
  • What Are Unreimbursed Expenses? Read More
  • What Should I Do If My Boss Asks Me to Work Off the Clock? Read More